Thursday, November 5, 2009

30 Thankful Days in Photos: Day 25

Today I am thankful for the public library! I went to the library on Landstuhl (Army post) today to turn in some books on CD I'd checked out. I love listening to books on CD--especially when in the car. I have hooked Jer on Harry Potter. We usually listen to one of the Harry Potter books during a long car ride.
I also like to read. I recently finished reading a non-fiction book from Ramstein library called, "Understanding the Holocaust." It was very interesting. Of course it paid tribute to the millions of Jews who suffered under extreme and terrible circumstances, and were eventually murdered. I knew these horrific stories already. But what was interesting about this book was that it started out at WWI and explained what what happening politically in Europe, especially in Germany. I read about Germany's politics through the 1920s and could see how Hitler came to power. I'm actually in awe of him. Not a wondrous awe, but a terrified awe. How clever a politician he was. I read that he was never known for his people skills, but only knew how to talk politics. He could wow a crowd with his speeches.
Both of my grandfathers served in WWII. One served in the Pacific Theatre, and the other served in Europe. I wish my grandpas were still around so I could ask them more informed questions than I ever had before.
For as long as I can remember, I've always known the basics of WWII, but mostly about America's involvement. It's amazing how much I learned from reading this book.
There is so much knowledge in a library! Thousands of books to choose from. Hundreds of books on CD. Every sort of fiction and non-fiction from authors all over the world. I'm so thankful for the library. It's amazing that I can check out several books, read them, and then return them free of charge. I don't think there's any other establishment that offers that type of service.

4 comments:

Julie Vorhauer said...

I did my senior thesis paper about the non-Jew Germans during WWII. It was one of the most interesting things that I ever researched. I think without the library I would be millions of dollars in debt to Barnes and Nobles or mentally insane!

mle said...

I also love the library! I just checked out all Harry Potter books on CD last night! :)

Lisa and company said...

I LOVE books on CD but I am picky about readers lol. If you want to listen to an AMAZING series on CD try the Inheritance cycle. The first book is Eragon then Eldest then Brisingr. There is going to be a 4th book but it isn't out yet. Seriously they are my favorite book on CD ever. The reader won awards it.
Oh and I love the library too- I am planning a thankful for the library post too at some point. I couldn't homeschool without them.

Sarah said...

If you haven't seen Band of Brothers or even if you have, you should read the book. Although the tv show did amazing justice to the book, the book is still a good, informative read. I do wish I could ask my grandparents informed questions about WW2.